Thursday, February 23, 2012

Knew the place for the first time



 The summer before my sophomore year we moved from Arizona to Montana. This move was different than a normal move, because we still kept our house in Arizona. While packing, there were things that I left behind that would be replaced with new items. For example, my bed, pictures, desk, childhood sentimental items, and some clothing. Moving from Arizona to Montana was definitely a change.
In Montana I had a whole new bedroom. Also, moving from a city to a small town was a huge difference. I never realized all of the changes until we returned to Arizona over Christmas break.
As I entered the house that I had lived in since I was born, I had a funny feeling. I walked down the hallway into the bedroom that had once been mine and in a weird way still was. It felt as if I had grown out of my bedroom and the things that were left behind.
While in Arizona, I spent time with a group of friends that I was very close to since grade school. It seemed to me as if they had changed. Suddenly, we had very little in common. However, I later realized that it was really me that had changed.
After living in Montana, having the newest, latest, and greatest of everything had become unimportant to me. I had become outdated with all the in brands, styles, and technology. I really did not seem to care though. Living in a small community and away from the conveniences of a city has made me appreciate the simpler things in life. Returning to Arizona the place that I had once called home was like a whole new place.  It is just as TS Eliot said, “We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”

1 comment: